This French toast like breakfast casserole is a favorite in my home. I make a large batch so it can be munched on for a few days.
I used whole wheat bread, but you could use French bread or any other type of bread.
- 9 pieces of whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 cup of dried cranberries (or other dried berry of your choice)
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 & 1/2 cups of milk
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray. Arrange the bread in layers, sprinkle cranberries over each layer.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon
- Pour the liquid mixture over the bread. Make sure that all the bread is covered in the egg mixture. *I use my hands to mash the bread slices up.*
4. Cover the baking dish with foil and refrigerate overnight.
5. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Bake covered for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 5-10 minutes more.
6. Let the casserole stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Posted in: baking ♦ blogging ♦ breakfast ♦ Cooking ♦ Family ♦ food ♦ Frugal living ♦ Fruit ♦ homemaking ♦ How to ♦ just thinking ♦ Texas ♦ things that make you go Yum
- Tagged: Baguette, baking, Baking and Confections, blogging, Bread, Casserole, cook, Cooking, Dried cranberry, Family, food, frenchtoast, frugal living, Fruit and Vegetable, Grocery store, Home, homemade, Homemaking, Maple syrup, Recipe, Sugar, Tablespoon, Texas
The weekend is here and I smell a great breakfast! Looks yummy.
I love bread pudding (as we call it) never even thought of having it for breakfast – you are a genius!
What a comforting breakfast!
Aha – bread pudding (I know it by this name like Mandy) and what a great idea to eat ot for breakfast. Genius!
I made a bread and butter pudding very similar to this just a few weeks ago. I use cranberries too as my husband doesn’t like currants or raisins. We tend to have it as a pudding after dinner. What a treat this would be for breakfast! You have very lucky kids 🙂
I love casseroles for breakfast and rarely do them. This looks great.
It’s like dessert for breakfast almost!
Great way to start the day!
Yummm! This is like a breakfast bread pudding, and I love bread pudding:]