Slow Cooker Apple-Pear Butter
Slow Cookers are also wonderful for making apple sauces, cranberry sauce and apple-pear butter.
I hope you’ll join Allie and me for this week’s slow cooker link-up.
Apple-Pear Butter, slightly adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe
- Wash, seed and slice 4-5 organic apples and 4-5 organic pears *I prefer to leave the skins on*
- place them in the slow cooker
- add 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of cinnamon or a cinnamon stick or mulling spices tied up in a little bag
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
Cook on High for 4 hours.
- Mash the fruit with a potato masher
Cook for about 3 more hours on High. Until the mixture has a golden color and thick.
- Process in the food processor in batches. I prefer to leave the skins on the fruit, Martha says in her recipe to skin them.
Consider this information from LiveStrong.com
“Fiber and Nutrients
A medium apple without the skin has 2.1 g of fiber, while the same apple with the skin has more than double that amount of fiber, or 4.4 g. Eating a medium pear with the skin will give you 5.5 g of fiber, while removing the skin will cut your fiber by more than half. In addition to containing a large portion of the fiber found in apples and pears, the skin of these fruits also contain most of the nutrients and antioxidants that are important for your health. Not eating the skin could prevent you from getting the full benefits of these healthy fruits”
So, that is why I leave the skins on my organic fruit.
- Can be stored in the fridge for 3 weeks or frozen for up to 3 months
- Enjoy on toast.
- Dear Slow Cooker (theflowerroom.wordpress.com)
- Bring out that Slow Cooker – and Save Energy (thegreenlifeonline.wordpress.com)
- Pear Sauce and Pear Butter in a Slow Cooker (katydidcountry.wordpress.com)
- Slow Cooker Apricot-Currant Oatmeal (dishesanddishes.wordpress.com)
- Homemade Pear butter (gicrockpot.wordpress.com)
- Posted in: blogging ♦ breakfast ♦ canning ♦ Cooking ♦ Family ♦ food ♦ Frugal living ♦ Fruit ♦ homemaking ♦ How to ♦ just thinking ♦ meatless ♦ slow cooker ♦ Texas ♦ things that make you go Yum
- Tagged: Allie, blogging, cook, Cooking, Family, food, French toast, frugal living, Fruit, Fruit and Vegetable, Home, homemade, Martha Stewart, Pear, Recipe, Slow cooker, Sugar, Tablespoon