Cranberry Apple Sauce
Allieand I are teaming up again this week to bring you slow cooker recipes. We hope that you will join us.
Follow the frog link to add a your new or previously posted slow cooker recipe to our link up.
A big thanks to Lavender and Lime and The Hoot Eats for joining in on the last link up!
I’m a fan of cranberries.
A big fan of cranberries.
I make home-made cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
I used my homemade cranberry sauce to make a festive holiday banana bread.
I like making apple sauce in my slow cooker, sure it takes longer than making it on the stove top, but I love that my apple sauce can cook all night while I’m sleeping.
I decided to add cranberries to my apple sauce for a fun, fall flavor.
Because I added cranberries, which are tart by nature, I’m adding brown sugar and apple juice. I want sweet cranberry apple sauce, not a bowl full of pucker. 😀
Cranberry Apple Sauce
slow cooker style
- 2 pounds of apples, diced and mostly peeled
- 2 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2-3 cups of brown sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 6 ounces of apple juice
What to do:
- Place the apples and cranberries into the slow cooker
- add the spices, mix well
- add the apple juice
- cook on LOW for 10-12 hours (I like to cook mine overnight)
- allow to cool for at least 2 hours, I place my cooked fruit into the fridge. My slow cooker has a removable crockery piece, so I remove it and place it into the fridge.
- Once the fruit is cool, drain off the sauce, I save my sauce for other things.
- Add the fruit to a food processor in batches and process them until they are at the smooth-ness level you prefer.
- Store in the fridge for 1-2 weeks. The apple juice allows for the up to 2 weeks storage. My apple sauce never lasts that long though.
The sauce is creamy and airy. We really enjoy it and if you try it, I hope you enjoy it too.
- Posted in: blogging ♦ Cooking ♦ desserts ♦ Family ♦ food ♦ Frugal living ♦ Fruit ♦ homemaking ♦ How to ♦ just thinking ♦ meatless ♦ slow cooker ♦ snacks ♦ Texas ♦ things that make you go Yum
- Tagged: Apple, apple sauce, blogging, Christmas, cook, Cooking, Cranberries, cranberry sauce, Family, food, frugal living, Fruit and Vegetable, Home, homemade, Homemaking, meatless Monday, Recipe, Sauce, Slow cooker, Sugar, Tablespoon, Texas, Thanksgiving