Canning Apple Pie filling
Who’s ready to do some canning?
This week I have made canned apple pie filling. Apple pie filling has many uses. Apple pie, obviously. Apple tarts. A topping for pancakes or yogurt. I made turn-overs. They were not my prettiest work, but they were tasty!
Apple pie filling is fairly easy to make. I like mine full of wonderful spices. Here’s my step by step guide to apple pie filling. Please make sure that you check out Allie’s post.
- 1 & 1/2 cups of brown sugar
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of orange zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 sachet bag full of mulling spices
- 3 pounds apples; washed, cored and sliced
- In a large pan, mix sugars, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add salt and water and mix well.
- Add the sachet.
- Bring to a boil and cook until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- Sterilize canning jars, by boiling them in a large pot of water.
- Ladle hot water over the lids to warm them.
- Core and slice apples. You can also peel them if you want to.
- Pack the sliced apples into hot canning jars, leaving a 1/2 inch of head-space.
- Fill jars with hot syrup, and gently remove air bubbles with a chop stick or knife.
- Wipe the rims of the jars.
- Put lids on and process in a water bath canner for 20 minutes.
- Let the jars set in the water for 5 minutes before removing.
- Allow the jars to rest on the counter top overnight.
- Check seals, label and store in a cool dry place for up to 1 year.Now it’s your turn! Show us what you have canned! Link up your canning post or leave your recipe in the comments!
- Posted in: baking ♦ blogging ♦ canning ♦ Cooking ♦ desserts ♦ Family ♦ food ♦ Frugal living ♦ Fruit ♦ homemaking ♦ just thinking ♦ Texas ♦ things that make you go Yum
- Tagged: applepie, baking, Baking and Confections, blogging, cook, Cooking, Family, food, frugal living, Fruit and Vegetable, Home, homemade, Homemaking, Lemon juice, Pumpkin pie spice, Recipe, Sugar, Tablespoon, Teaspoon, Texas