Meatless Monday: An altered soup recipe, for my love.
We had a lazy weekend. I am recovering from a sinus infection and ear infection, so I am feeling a bit cruddy. When I feel cruddy I usually want soup. Soup or cake. Cake….no 😦 soup. It’s more filling and won’t cause a sugar high.
I know, it’s summer…and I am posting soup recipes? The reason, is simple……my soup eating knows no season. It does not care that it is over 100 deg F outside. My taste-buds are Honey Badger like. They just don’t care.
One of my favorite cream soup recipes came to me from my Step Mother. In fact, in a cook book that she made for my step-sisters and me the soup is called “Jamie’s Favorite Broccoli Soup”. Broccoli…Spinach…Wha?
Allow me to explain. Cream of Broccoli soup is my favorite soup, I love most broccoli soups….BUT my husband has not been able to eat broccoli for a few years now. He seems to have developed a sensitivity to broccoli.
I love my husband way more than I love broccoli
so I have stopped (most) of my broccoli cooking. Every once in a while I make something with broccoli in it, for myself, for lunch, usually when he’s not here.
So, I have adapted this soup recipe (in a few ways) and I am making it with frozen chopped spinach instead of chopped broccoli. I’ve changed my soup for my love. Here is my updated “for love” recipe.
If you wanted to make it with broccoli, just use broccoli instead of spinach.
Cream of Spinach Soup
- 1 package of chopped frozen spinach (or fresh spinach chopped) Or broccoli~ cooked
- 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup (condensed) or homemade cream of mushroom soup (frozen)
- 1 1/3 cup of 2% milk
- 4 Tablespoons of butter
- 2 cups of veggie stock or 1 1/2 cups of veggie stock and 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1 teaspoon of tarragon
- 1 teaspoon of parsley
- 1 tablespoon of dried shallots
Cook and drain spinach or broccoli. Add mushroom soup, milk, butter, veggie stock and seasoning.
Cook over a medium heat until the soup begins to gently boil. Stirring occasionally. If you have opted to add wine, add the wine and allow to cook for 7-10 min more, uncovered to allow the alcohol in the wine to evaporate.
I am serving my soup with cheese Quiche.
I am also posting two of my wedding photos. My bloggy friend over at So, I married a Mennonite is having a wedding picture link up, in celebration of her anniversary. Since I changed this recipe out of love for my dear husband, I figured it was a great post to place these pictures on!
We had a beautiful, simple, daytime wedding. It was a mostly stress free day, and the result was everything I ever wanted.
This. Wonderful. Man.
For the rest of my life.
What are you eating for dinner tonight?
- Posted in: baking ♦ blogging ♦ Cooking ♦ dinner ♦ Family ♦ food ♦ Frugal living ♦ homemaking ♦ meatless ♦ meatless monday ♦ Texas ♦ things that make you go Yum ♦ Veggies
- Tagged: blogging, Broccoli, Broth, cook, Cooking, Cream of mushroom soup, dinner, Family, food, frugal living, Fruit and Vegetable, Home, homemade, Homemaking, Honey Badger, meatless Monday, Mennonite, Quiche, Recipe, Soup, Soups and Stews, Spinach, Texas