I hope you had a fantastic weekend. We had a nice weekend here. Did a little yard work, used the grill, splashed around in the pool on Saturday, had a lovely lunch with some equally lovely friends and lounged around the house on Sunday. No Farmer’s Market trip over the weekend, but I’m planning on going today. I’m low on veggies.
The heat outside is forcing me to get creative this week, I can not fathom turning on the oven or the stove if I can help it. I’m a native Texan, so shouldn’t I be accustomed to the heat? Perhaps, but I’m not. I dream of cooler weather, snow even. Furry boots whisper my name. So, to keep my kitchen as cool as possible; I have turned off the lights, set my dishwasher to non-heated drying, and I’m using my slow cooker for dinner.
I’m making spaghetti via the slow cooker. Wha? Yes, you read that right…spaghetti. It’ not a totally foreign idea to me, you should not be too surprised. I did make slow cooker lasagna , however the idea to make spaghetti in the slow cooker came from my friend April. I defrosted some of my homemade spaghetti sauce and made spaghetti in my slow cooker.
Here is how I made the spaghetti.
- one happy, little slow cooker (okay maybe not so little)
- 4 cups of homemade sauce, but store-bought sauce would work just as well
- 1 package (14.5 ounces) of pasta
Pour the sauce into the slow cooker. Break the noodles in half and force them down into the sauce. Like this…..
Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 1 hour and 40 min. Remove the lid, stir the pasta
- 1 can diced tomatoes (un-drained)
- 1 -5.5 ounce can of V8 or 1 -8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- replace the lid and cook for 10-15 minutes more
I sprinkled mine with cheese and parsley.
Check out Rachel’s Vegetarian Shepard’s pie recipe she linked it up with last week’s Meatless post. Thank you very much Rachel!
To link up this week follow the linky below…..new recipe…old recipe as long as it’s a meatless meal…link it up!
- Posted in: blogging ♦ Cooking ♦ dinner ♦ Family ♦ food ♦ Frugal living ♦ homemaking ♦ Meal planning ♦ meatless ♦ meatless monday ♦ slow cooker ♦ Texas
- Tagged: blogging, Canned tomato, cook, Cooking, crockpot, dinner, Family, food, frugal living, Fruit and Vegetable, Garlic, Home, homemade, Homemaking, meatless Monday, Pasta, Recipe, Slow cooker, Texas, Tomato, Tomato sauce