Meatless Monday:Very Veggie Soup
Thank you for being so sweet and interactive with my guest posters last week. You’re all wonderful, lovely, amazing people and I adore you.
After a week of vacation and wonderful guest posts, I am ready to get back into the blogging groove. I’ll tell you about my family vacation soon. I’ve got lovely pictures and stories to tell you. Soon.
My husband, daughter and I went to the farmer’s market Saturday, our son went to the mall (teenaged boys hate the farmer’s market…apparently) we got lots of lovely fruit and veggies.
We bought strawberries, peaches, apricots, a yellow/orange watermelon, onions, figs, a cantaloupe, oranges, pickling cucumbers and two different types of tomatoes.
My daughter and I made strawberry freezer jam….it’s pure genius. I’ll post the simple recipe later this week.
Now, on with Meatless Monday…Ready for a wonderful veggie creation? I am.
Today’s meatless post is……..
Very Veggie Rice Soup
- 6 cups of veggie stock (Because I am using very flavorful homemade veggie stock, I am not adding much extra spice) Or use 6 cups of water
- 2 cans of corn (drained) or use fresh corn (I was going for easy)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 package of frozen soup veggies (I use the Kroger brand)
- 1 (medium) diced onion
- 1 can of butter beans
- 2 zucchini (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups of Veggie juice (tomato based)
- 2-3 cups of uncooked rice
- about 1/4 cup of frozen chopped spinach (I’m guessing 1/4 cup because I free poured)
- 1 TBSP of cilantro
- 1 TBSP of garlic
- 2 generous TBSP of Homemade salsa or store-bought salsa
- a pinch of salt and a dash of pepper
I froze the veggie stock in plastic containers, it makes it easy to pop the frozen broth out of the container and into the stock pot.
- Add the stock to the pot, warm to a medium heat, it will begin to melt.
- add the veggies in what ever order you want
- add the veggie juice, salsa, rice, and remaining spices
- give the soup a stir and cover it with the lid
- cook it on a medium heat for 30-40 min.
Serve it with a salad and garlic bread or what ever you prefer.
- Posted in: Cooking ♦ dinner ♦ Family ♦ food ♦ gardening ♦ grocery shopping ♦ homemaking ♦ meatless ♦ meatless monday ♦ things that make you go Yum
- Tagged: cook, Farmers Market, Home, homemade, Kroger, meatless, meatless Monday, Onion, Rice, Soups and Stews, Stock (food), Tablespoon, Tomato, Very Veggie soup