Texas Caviar isn’t like normal Caviar. I don’t remember where I first had this yummy black-eyed pea dip, and I don’t know what other names it might go by, I have always known it as Texas Caviar.
- Black-eyed peas (I used the canned variety, but you could work with fresh or frozen(just cook them first) rinsed and well drained
- 1 diced and seeded jalapeno (I used mild pickled, diced jalapeno because I like the flavor)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup of oil (I used a canola blend, because it is lighter in texture and flavor)
- 2 TSBP of garlic
- a dash of salt and pepper
- 2 tsp of cilantro
- Mix it all together, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours
Serve with tortilla chips. It’s a wonderful casual appetizer.