Sunday prep for Meatless Monday…
I know. It’s not Monday yet, but to allow anyone who wants to be meatless on Monday to make the meal I’m making. I am posting this week’s meatless Monday meal on Sunday.
I’m a wacky, wacky girl.
The neat thing about the dish I am making is that I’ll be able to use the leftovers in other meals during the week.
I’m making Black Beans, via my slow cooker.
What you’ll need.
- 3 cups of dried black beans (soaked overnight or not..your choice) ****I will not be soaking mine.****
- 1 cup of diced onions
- 2 TBSP. garlic diced or minced
**Although you could totally skip this step and use canned black beans, or you could make the black beans on the stove**
Place items in the slow cooker and add enough water to cover the beans. I check the water level every few hours, but if you’re going to be gone…fill the slow cooker at least 3/4th of the way full with water. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
Serve with rice and/or make green chile and black bean quesadillas (which is what I will be making on Monday).
I will be saving 1-2 cups of cooked beans for a green chile chicken soup later in the week, I will also share links to a few other black bean recipes.
I will post my black bean quesadilla recipe on Monday.
Here’s what you will need to make the quesadillas.
- cheese (I like colby jack cheese)
- flour tortillas
- 4 ounce can of diced green chilies (drained)
- 1/4 TBSP of cilantro leaves (chopped)
- sour cream (if you like it)
- guacamole (if you like it)
- salsa (if you like it)
- green, red or yellow peppers (if you like) diced
- Posted in: blogging ♦ Cooking ♦ dinner ♦ food ♦ homemaking ♦ meatless ♦ meatless monday ♦ slow cooker
- Tagged: Bean, Beans and Legumes, black beans, cook, Home, meatless, meatless Monday, Slow cooker, Soups and Stews
Oh this would be so good with a little ham… Kidding. It’s good to post this early so others can do the same thing! Black beans take a little planning. Great recipe.
You’re right, ham would be good. Just not meatless. 😉
Black beans in the slow cooker! I am so glad I found this!!
I love my slow cooker, so if you like slow cooker recipes…you’re in luck.
Me too! Never thought to do it that way, but it sounds nice and convenient. Thanks!