Sick day soup
Three out of the four people in my home are sick. Bummer huh? We’re having chicken soup for dinner. Chicken soup is so easy. You, honestly, can toss in what ever you want. I’m making my base (broth and veggies) now.
See the 2 circular disks? They are both frozen broth that I made a few weeks ago. I plan to put my baked honey mustard chicken into the soup.
This is my ingredient lineup
- 2 cups frozen chicken broth
- 5 cups of water (or more broth)
- chopped garlic
- 1 package (about 2 cups) of shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 cups of celery (rough chopped)
- 2 cups of diced onions
- 2-3 diced (or rough chopped) pre-cooked chicken breasts
- pasta or rice
- corn, okra, green beans (your choice)
Let it simmer slow and low for a few hours. Add the chicken and rice/pasta during the last half hour of cooking. It’s full of veggies, warm and comforting. It’s good sick day food.
I put 1 package of country gravy mix (mixed with 1/2 cup of water) into the soup with 10 min left in the cooking time.
Here’s my finished soup.